My truck came with the normal semi tractor taillight setup...three lights on a plate bolted to the rear crossmember. The plate was bent and had some war wounds. The plate would also be in the way of my future receiver hitch so it needed to go.
I bought a couple surface mount taillights and a lighted license plate bracket. I used incandescent lights to make the lighting computer happy. In the back of my mind I didn't know how hard it would be to drill the hardened steel. It wasn't bad at all, it just took a little longer due to its thickness. Sharp bits, low rpm, and patience.
I used a weatherproof enclosure to join all the wires. I plan to add more lights on the back of the future storage boxes so I left plenty of room for expansion in the enclosure.